Sunday, January 11, 2004

What a friend we have in Howie!

Christopher Buckley at Opinion Journal - In God He Trusts:
"In a shift, Howard Dean says he will mention God more often in his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination."
--New York Times, Jan. 4


Your Google Search for "Howard Dean" and "God" resulted in 49,201 matches.

"God, it's great to be here with you in Iowa."

"I think I have some pretty goddamned good ideas on how to fix the economy."

"God, I love Florida."

"I swear to God, if I didn't live in Vermont, I'd live here in New Hampshire. What a fantastic state you have here."

"God, I wish I got to spend more time in South Carolina."

"There are times, as a physician, when there's a temptation to think of yourself as God, like when you have to tell a patient, 'That toe's gotta go.' You have to watch yourself."

"No, I'm not gonna unseal my record as governor. It's none of your goddamn business, anyway."
...
"God knows I'm no theologian, but I preferred the original New Testament version, where Noah strikes a match inside the whale and builds a fire and it coughs him out onto the island. It's a powerful message about man being able to control his own destiny."
...
"Not likeable? I think I'm extremely likeable. Hey, goddamnit--look at me when I talk to you."