Sunday, June 22, 2003

There really are X-ray glasses?
While perusing my favorite mail order sporting goods catalog I was struck by an oddity involving the People's Republic of Kalifornia. Many sporting goods that propel projectiles are subject to widely varying restrictions across the country, which are indicated by footnotes in the catalog. But while examining the night vision gear that was for sale, I noticed that none of it can be shipped to California.

Now, I've mentioned night vision before, but I've always figured it was just another techno gadget that I would fool with for an hour and then put on a shelf. Besides, out here in the sticks, about all I'm likely to see are deer, foxes, and possums. I'm not that interested in their nocturnal hijinks.

Anyhow, I thought I'd do a little Googling to find out what problem the People's Republic of Kalifornia had with night vision. Unless I am missing something obvious, all I can find is this shocker - Video Voyeurs:
Night-vision camera filters are being used by voyeurs to see through people's clothes. Some of these pictures are being sold online, and no one can stop them.

Glasses that give its wearer X-ray vision have been a pop-culture fad in slapstick movies and TV shows since the '50s. But new video-camera technology is making X-ray vision a reality for voyeurs, and it's no longer a laughing matter. This week on "CyberCrime" we investigate the use of specially equipped video cameras that can see through clothes.
...
Back in the late '90s Sony released its Night Shot camcorder, which came equipped with infrared technology for filming at night. But when the night shot feature was used during the day, the camera could see through clothing. Sony pulled the Night Shot off the market. But now voyeurs are getting the same effect using an infrared filter.

What's even more surprising is that the practice is legal in most states. Currently, only one state, California, specifically outlaws the use of X-ray cameras. Senator Dick Ackerman authored a bill, enacted in January 2000, that makes all types of video voyeurism illegal. The law states that it is a crime "to secretly videotape or photograph another person under or through their clothing."
Gawd, it's the technopervs again. I'm a little surprised that they can actually see through clothes, but I'm not surprised there are a bunch of wingnuts trading what must be grainy green photos of naked people. Is this really the reason that you can't buy a night vision device in California?