Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Today's Hoot
Tim Blair in the Bulletin:
South Australian member of parliament Frances Bedford last week decided that her opinion of Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine was so important that she should review the film for her fellow members of the House of Assembly. "Because many people have told me what a good movie Bowling for Columbine is, I went along to see it last weekend with my 23-year-old son," Frances began, sending members hurtling towards the bar. "I was looking forward to seeing it because of Michael Moore's book Stupid White Men, which was published in 2001 but which I have not yet been able to read because so many people keep borrowing it from me. Because of that I am not sure of the relationship between the book and the film." There isn't one, apart from a common theme of inaccuracy. Bedford, who holds the seat of Florey for the ALP (Australian Labor Party - i.e. portsiders, natch), would know this if she'd even read the book's cover. "I left the cinema deeply concerned about many things," she revealed. Not as concerned as the residents of Florey, who now realise that they are represented by Margaret Pomeranz Lite.
Maggie is the Australian Roger Ebert. Only fluffier.