Tuesday, December 10, 2002

English vicar alert!
(Via Best of the Web) The BBC reports that Vicar tells children Santa is dead:
It is the news no child wants to hear - and certainly not from the mouth of a vicar.

Youngsters at a Christmas carol service were devastated when the Reverend Lee Rayfield told them Santa Claus was dead.

Even parents at the service in Maidenhead, Berkshire, were shocked to hear Mr Rayfield say it was scientifically impossible for Father Christmas to deliver so many presents so quickly.

Mr Rayfield has admitted making a serious misjudgment in telling the story to children as young as five.

He said: "I did not realise how young some of them were and I am sitting here now wondering how I managed not to realise.

Even when I was there, I did not twig. I am mortified and appreciate I have put some parents in a difficult position with a lot of explaining to do. I love Christmas."

Mr Rayfield also told the youngsters that reindeer would burst into flames if they had to travel at the speeds necessary.
...
Mr Rayfield, whose comments came from an internet story on how scientific research could dispel the myth of Santa, is now writing a letter to parents apologising for the blunder.
Smooth move, Ex-Lax. That's as mean as telling Democrats that the government doesn't have any money of its own - it all comes from taxpayers.