Wednesday, July 31, 2002

Dog Bites Man
The Miami Herald reveals a startling story:
Rafael Velasquez, a candidate for the Florida House of Representatives, voted twice in the 1990s, even though he didn't become a U.S. citizen until last year.

A simple mistake by a new immigrant, Velasquez says.

A felony, says Florida election law.

Velasquez, a Democrat, is challenging the Republican incumbent Gustavo Barreiro in House District 107, which includes parts of Miami Beach and Little Havana.

...

When initially asked by The Herald if he'd ever voted since his move to the United States in 1993, Velasquez repeatedly said no. But when told about the voting records The Herald had seen in the elections office, Velasquez admitted that he had voted. ''I think I did. . . . I did vote,'' Velasquez said.

He described it as a mistake he made as a new immigrant. His explanation: ``I registered as a resident and they sent me something, so I registered. I think it must have been a misunderstanding.''
Well, at least he wasn't dead.