Tuesday, April 27, 2004

"I'll take all sides, thanks!"

Peter Wallison at NRO has much the same feeling that I mentioned yesterday - it isn't so much that Lurch lies, it's that he always tries to have it 15 different ways.
But what do we have at the end? Once again, Kerry is trying to have it both ways. In 1971, he threw away his ribbons to protest the war in Vietnam, implying that he had actually thrown away the medals. But in 1984, he uses the medals to demonstrate to labor that he did not really do the symbolic act that he performed in 1971. In other words, that throwing away his ribbons was not the same thing as throwing away his medals. If this sounds a lot like "I voted for it before I voted against it," you're getting warm.
Except that it's even worse than that, because Lurch says the medals and ribbons are the same thing. So did he throw away his "medals" or not? Beats the heck out of me. Probably him too.