Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Mr. 57 Varieties Alert!
Howie Carr in the Boston Herald reveals Kerry profile on target? Now that's rich!:
John ``Liveshot'' Kerry stories? I got a million of 'em.

So, apparently, does everybody else, which is why, in the fawning profile of him this week in The New Yorker, Liveshot attempts to inoculate himself once and for all:

``Look,'' he says, ``I was a very serious guy except for when I was a non-serious guy. I knew how to have a lot of fun, sometimes too much. There were plenty of times when I was disengaged, frivolous, four sheets to the wind.''

Henceforward, every sordid little anecdote can be dismissed as ``old news.'' It's the Clinton m.o. Mistakes were made. Move on.

Remember the Eliot Lounge in the Back Bay? One Friday night, Liveshot decides to take a pass on the Eurotrash scene at Biba's and instead heads over to the Eliot to scout out the local talent. He waves to bartender Tommy Leonard and begins chatting up two unattached babes at the bar.

After awhile, it becomes clear that the two cupcakes do not comprehend just how privileged they are this evening, prompting the junior senator to pose the eternal question:

``Do you know who I am?''

``Yeah,'' says one of the gals. ``You're Bob Lobel.''

Oh, the pain. Liveshot was the first male politician I ever saw wearing makeup outside a TV studio. It was during his first Senate campaign, at a hotel fund-raiser, and I was there to do - what else? - a live shot.

``John,'' I asked him, ``are you wearing makeup?''

``Why yes,'' he sniffed. ``I have a bit of a cold.''

There's much to respect about Liveshot, and by the way, despite what The New Yorker says, I'm the one who hung the ``Liveshot'' moniker on him, not Billy Bulger. Bulger called him ``JFK - Just for Kerry.''
More hijinks in the article to serve as a reminder of who the New Yorker is puffing up.

Mr. Ketchup is good too.