Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Dadgum sightings!
Although I am given to using the occasional countryism, "dadgum" is not one of my favorites. But it seems to be breaking out all over. First it was in the report of a NASCAR fracas in the pits:
"I wasn't even thinking there's an incident getting ready to happen, and I'm still in the car. It takes me a minute to get unbuckled, and as I'm unbuckling, I don't see Kevin yet but I see his crewmembers walking up and down my car like it's a dadgum runway or something, jumping up and down on the sheetmetal, collapsed the hood, and basically total lost the race car. And just absolutely absurd. I mean, I never seen anything like it."
NASCAR - hmm, I can understand that. But now it shows up in an article on the RIAA suing those pesky music downloaders:
A 71-year-old Texas man, Durwood Pickle, told the Associated Press yesterday that his teen-aged grandchildren must have downloaded songs during visits to his home, then left the sharing features enabled so other Internet users could access them. He said his grandchildren had explained the situation to the RIAA in an e-mail.

"I didn't do it, and I don't feel like I'm responsible," Pickle said. "Dadgum it, got to get a lawyer on this."
Durwood Pickle? Dadgum, you can't make this stuff up!

Of course, for something really unusual, there's the RIAA asshats themselves - check out the rest of the article for details.