Sunday, November 17, 2002

How Terrible!
Newsday reports on a protest march in New York City in Post-9/11 Immigrant Treatment Protested:
About 200 people marched yesterday in lower Manhattan against the government's post-Sept. 11 treatment of immigrants, in a short-lived rally that quickly melted in the cold rain.
All the usual suspects were there, but the highlight of the show was:
But speakers - representing several ethnicities - said rights are consistently violated.

"I've been discriminated [against] a great deal," said Debbie Almontaser, a Brooklyn member of Justice for Detainees, who traces her lineage to Yemen. Before Sept. 11, Almontaser wore her hijab - head scarf - without problems. But now passersby "look at my face, and look at my head, and I can sense that people are thinking of things, and making connections of the fact that I'm Muslim, and that Islam has been connected to terrorism - so-called terrorism."
Kind of says it all doesn't it?