Saturday, June 07, 2003

Hitchens Alert!
(Via The Corner) Ludovic Hunter-Tilney profiles the unique Christopher Hitchens in the Financial Times (!) - The Preacher: Christopher Hitchens. It's all worth reading, but here's a snip about the Vichy Chicks:
At the debate a few hours earlier, he lost his temper when someone asked about country band the Dixie Chicks and the flak they copped for criticising George W. Bush's Iraq policy.

"Each day they dig up dead bodies in personal death camps run by a Caligula dictator," Hitchens shouted, "and I'm being asked to worry about these fucking fat slags - do me a favour!" The debate broke up soon after.
...
"The reason I like P.G. Wodehouse and Oscar Wilde is that they teach you to take frivolous things seriously and serious things frivolously," Hitchens replies. "It's all a complete farce, you understand, we're born into a losing struggle. In the meantime, I think, I must show some contempt and defiance and the best means of doing that that I know are irony and obscenity."

Laughter, applause. "Which is why it was a mistake for that man to ask me about those slut Dixie Chicks," he adds.
Bwahahaha! I may have to change the quote in the blog header.