Thursday, August 05, 2004

Just doing my part

Did you see that Lurch trotted out a couple of lawyers to threaten any station that ran the SwiftVets ad? Read their letter to appreciate the contortions that they had to go through to come up with something to complain about. Good thing the letter was FAXed - the original was probably soggy with panicky flop sweat.

Anyhow, I'm not a TV station and blogspot doesn't make it too easy to host video files, but at least I can post the transcript of the ad the Democrats don't want you to see:

John Edwards: "If you have any question about what John Kerry is made of, just spend 3 minutes with the men who served with him."

Al French: "I served with John Kerry."

Bob Elder: "I served with John Kerry."

George Elliott: "John Kerry has not been honest about what happened in Vietnam."

Al French: "He is lying about his record."

Louis Letson: "I know John Kerry is lying about his first Purple Heart because I treated him for that injury."

Van O'Dell: "John Kerry lied to get his bronze star ... I know, I was there, I saw what happened."

Jack Chenoweth: "His account of what happened and what actually happened are the difference between night and day."

Admiral Hoffman: "John Kerry has not been honest."

Adrian Lonsdale: "And he lacks the capacity to lead."

Larry Thurlow: "When the chips were down, you could not count on John Kerry."

Bob Elder: "John Kerry is no war hero."

Grant Hibbard: "He betrayed all his shipmates ... he lied before the Senate."

Shelton White: "John Kerry betrayed the men and women he served with in Vietnam."

Joe Ponder: "He dishonored his country ... he most certainly did."

Bob Hildreth: "I served with John Kerry ...

Bob Hildreth (off-camera): John Kerry cannot be trusted."

Announcer: "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth is responsible for the content of this advertisement."

I wonder if they plan on threatening me too?

Update: Steve H. weighs in on Lurch's high powered lawyering:
The lawyers are careful not to demand that the ads be pulled. That's because they know they can't. Instead, they "request" that the ad be refused, and they use words like "libelous" to scare the broadcasters. And then they order the broadcasters to call them "promptly" to tell them what they've decided. If I was one of the broadcasters, I'd use the letter for toilet paper and FedEx them a photo of it.