Friday, July 18, 2003

Wotta country!
Mark Steyn on the wonders of the USA:
Thursday, the front page of my local newspaper had a story about whether New Hampshire's 1791 adultery law applies to extramarital gay sex: a guy from Hanover, New Hampshire, has accused his wife of having an affair with a woman from Vermont, and the woman's defence is that lesbian sex isn't covered by the adultery prohibition as the New Hampshire legislature didn't have gay sex in mind back in the 18th century. On the other hand, a Boston-based gay group has filed a brief arguing that "gay and lesbian relationships are as significant as non-gay ones" and therefore it's discriminatory not to subject gays to the strictures of the adultery law.

What a great country, I thought, where the question of whether or not I can seek relief from the courts for a lesbian seducing my wife depends on what side of the state line I'm on.