Monday, December 02, 2002

Kerry Campaign Time!
I mentioned a little background on Sen. Kerry last Wednesday, but seeing him on the tube after he announced his presidential "exploration" creeped me out. This photo comparison stolen from a poster at Free Republic doesn't even begin to show how close the resemblance is, since he now seems to use a lot (and I mean a lot) of makeup:



If that isn't weird enough, check out this WaPo article from June on Mrs. 57 Varieties. It starts off:
Teresa Heinz is getting up a full head of rage while her husband, Sen. John Kerry, fidgets.

They are in the living room of their Georgetown home, where Heinz has lived ever since her late first husband, John Heinz, came to Washington in 1971 as a Republican congressman from Pennsylvania. In the front entrance, the first things a visitor sees are two framed photos of Teresa Heinz cuddled with tall, smiling men with big heads of brown hair: In one is John Kerry, in the other John Heinz.

She still calls John Heinz "my husband" and doesn't always correct herself -- "my late husband" -- even when Kerry is around. She still wears the blue sapphire engagement ring that Heinz gave her.

But John Heinz's enduring presence in Teresa's life is best revealed when someone slights his memory. Which, at least indirectly, is why she and Kerry are now in mid-bicker.
UPDATE (via Instapundit): Mickey Kaus weighs in with:
Kerry Mystery Challenge: What is it that makes so many people, myself included, intensely dislike Sen. John Kerry? This is the great mystery surrounding his 2004 presidential campaign. I don't think "aloof and arrogant," the traditional Kerry negatives, are exactly it -- he may be aloof and arrogant, but there are plenty of aloof and arrogant people I don't rule out instantly due to their gross characterological deficiency, which is what I do with Kerry. It's not just his "long record of opportunism," though again that's part of it. ... I say we harness the power of the Web to solve the mystery!
...
Plus the way his equally ambitious supporters call him "JFK." It's creepy. The man's an animatronic Lincoln. There's a metal plate in the back of his head -- under all the glued-on "hair" -- that they open up and stick screwdrivers in when he gets back to his office.... There, that's my best shot. But I'm not sure it's quite there. I know you can do better!.
UPDATE 2: (via Instapundit again) Mullings has some photos of Kerry during the Sunday Meet the Press appearance. The one on the left is what he looked like, the other - well, I'll let Mullings explain it. Nothing like an electronic tan.