Friday, December 05, 2003

And speaking of spam...

Everyone is getting in on it!
>From: Saddam.Hussein@Baath.org [SMTP: SADDAM.HUSSEIN@BAATH.ORG ]
>Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2003 10:23:21 AM GMT
>To: < undisclosed recipients >
>Subject: URGENT HELP NEEDED
>
> You may be surprised to receive this message, as we have not known each other previously. However, I
> have been reliably informed of your Discretefulness and Ability in transactions of this nature. First, I must
> solicit your confidence in this Transaction, this is by virtue if its nature as being utterly CONFIDENTIAL
> and TOP SECRET! I came to know of you in my private search for a Reliable and Reputable person to
> handle this confidential transaction, which involves the transfer of a large sum of money to a foreign
> account requiring Maximum Confidence. Though I know that a transaction of this Magnitude will make
> any one apprehensive and worried, but I am assuring you that all will be well at the end of the day. I have
> decided to contact you due to the needful urgency of my Situation.
>
> Let me start by first introducing myself properly to you. I am MR. SADDAM HUSSEIN, a former high
> government official in Baghdad.
But in New Zealand, they're fighting back - Conman baiting a new net sport:
Computer buffs in New Zealand are "baiting" Nigerian fraudsters in a game dubbed the new internet bloodsport.
...
Scam-baiters start by replying to emails from African fraudsters trying to fleece recipients with fake charities or investments.

The baiters pretend to fall for the scams while secretly humiliating the fraudsters, whom they call "lads".

Typically, they make endless demands for proof of identity that force the lads to forge passports, bank accounts and documents.

Sometimes the lads are told to photograph themselves in ridiculous poses, with loaves of bread on their heads, or clutching signs with secret passwords.
...
Auckland baiter Vek, aged 17, told a lad he was the head of a multinational firm.

"Now I'm convincing him to take photos of various clothing items and generally make a fool of himself.

"These people have pretty bad English, and you can get a laugh out of the lengths they will go to to rip you off," Vek said.
The authorities are warning the kids that this could be dangerous. I haven't heard of any actual physical danger in dealing with these turkeys other than to some folks who actually went to Nigeria. On the other hand, you have to have a lot of time on your hands if this is at the top of the fun list.