Tuesday, September 30, 2003

I'm damn diverse
Over at Best of the Web, James Taranto spots a beauty:
Writing in National Review Online, Peter Wood advises prospective college students how to game the system by taking advantage of higher education's "diversity" fetish. Some schools now require applicants to write "diversity essays," which according to Wood is "a coy device that I believe was first introduced by law schools as an indirect way of asking students about their racial and ethnic identities."

Wood outlines three different "diversity deep truths," or DDTs, around which students can build their essays. Then he gives some hilarious sample openings:
"I don't look like my friend Mohammed . . ."

"I didn't know what would happen the night before the big game when my friend Mike decided to tell the other guys on the football team that she was transgendered . . ."

...
More by following the link and much more at the original article which is here. My favorite is
"I never thought that it would be Daryll, who has Down's Syndrome, who would teach me the most important lesson in life."